1. Municipal Elections and Term of Office
Councils are elected for four-year terms starting with the first meeting following the election. When required to hold a byelection, the elected member holds office for the remainder of the unexpired term of the person who they replaced. Towns, villages and cities that do not have a ward system may increase or decrease the size of their council by passing a bylaw at least 180 days before the general election.
- On Saturday, August 29, 2020, the next municipal election for mayor and councillors in a resort village will be held.
- Council consists of an elected mayor and a minimum of two councillors.
2. Nomination Day
The nomination period opens at least 10 business days before nomination day. The period begins when the returning officer publishes and posts the call for nominations for a general election or byelection. Nominations may be filed anytime during regular office hours from the time the call for nominations is posted until the deadline.
Note: Public disclosure statements are now required to be attached to all nomination papers.
- Nominations open July 15, 2020
- Nomination day is July 25,2020
- Nomination papers must be signed by at least five voters of the resort village.
- Deadline for filing nomination papers is 2 p.m.
3. Candidate Eligibility
Persons eligible for nomination as a candidate in any Saskatchewan municipality must meet all the requirements listed for the municipality they wish to run in:
- is at least 18 years old on the day of the election.
- is not disqualified pursuant to this or any other Act.
- is a Canadian citizen at the time that he/she submits the nomination paper.
- has lived in Saskatchewan for at least six consecutive months immediately preceding the date on which he/she submitted the nomination paper, AND:
- in that resort village, or on land now in that resort village, for at least three consecutive months immediately preceding the date on which he/she submitted the nomination paper, OR
- is the assessed person with respect to property in the resort village, or on property now situated in the resort village, pursuant to Section 207 in The Municipalities Act, for at least three consecutive months immediately preceding the date on which he/she submitted the nomination paper, OR
- is the spouse of a person mentioned in paragraph 1 or 2 above.